23 August 2010

The-Man's Chunky Vegan Gravy


My Man loves traditional white flour biscuits and milk-sausage gravy,
but they just don't qualify as healthy food.
So he keeps experimenting,
and he's come up with substitutes for both that we really enjoy.

Here's the Almost-Vegan-Biscuits recipe that I posted earlier,
and now for the gravy to top it:

The Man's Chunky Vegan Gravy

1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped celery
1 med. onion, chopped
Saute above in olive oil.
Meanwhile, in blender jar, whiz up
1 cup raw cashews
with enough water to turn the blades. Add
2 cups of cooked garbanzos
and enough more water to make the blades turn easily.
When the pepper, celery and onion are sautee'd enough,
add the cashew/garbanzo mixture to the veggies,
then put
2 cups water
2 tablespoons mira-cleer or cornstarch
in the blender jar and whiz well,
then pour into the pan with veggies and cashew/garbanzo puree.
Season with
1 tsp. liquid smoke
2 tsp. sausage seasoning
(use your favorite, and I will post our recipe soon)
salt to taste
(we like Herbalmare)
Keep it stirred and cook it until it is the consistency you prefer.
You may need to use more or less water to make it how you like.
Serve over hot biscuits.

The-Man likes his gravy to be the consistency of what I call "glop."
You know, when it falls off the spoon, it goes "glop" and lands in a chunk.
Me? I like gravy. I like it to run off the edges of my biscuits
so I can chase it with my fork and sop it up...

But this stuff is good enough that I'll eat it any way he fixes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment